Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 02:33:52 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Steve Gasbarre <SteveG@bright.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation problem from DOS partition

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 03:00:28PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Steve Gasbarre wrote:
>
> > I tried to install FreeBSD 3.1 from my Hitachi CDR-7730 (4X) CDROM
> > drive.  Many of the package installations fail -- write failure on
> > transfer -- but when I attempt to install from a DOS directory
> > (C:\FREEBSD) and chose the correct path it fails -- no root device found
> > - or - file system full.
>
> File system full?  It sounds like you didn't allocate enough space to the
> partition.  What was your partition layout like?

Is it not the DOS directory that's wrong? From the 3.1 errata:

o  DOS installation fails when you actually follow the
   instructions to install stuff under C:\FREEBSD\BIN\... and so on.

   Fix: The instructions are correct but the code was wrong in
        3.1-RELEASE, sysinstall looking instead directly under
        C:\ (e.g. C:\BIN\...) or under C:\RELEASES\
        (C:\RELEASES\BIN\... and so on).  Fixed in 3.1-STABLE.