Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 10:40:28 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        flygt@sr.se, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Timezone question

On Monday,  5 April 1999 at  1:52:05 +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 09:51:53AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Monday,  5 April 1999 at  1:04:17 +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
>>>
>>> Does FreeBSD update the RTC for Daylight Saving?
>>
>> You mean the clock?  No.
>>
>>> I only ask because my machine was booted to FreeBSD when the clocks
>>> changed and the next day FreeBSD was showing the correct time. When
>>> I rebooted the RTC was showing the correct time as well.
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by RTC.  If you mean the CMOS clock,
>
> Yes, I do. Am I getting my terminology mixed up here? RTC == "Real
> Time Clock". I've always known RTC to be a synonym for CMOS clock.

Real Time Clock has different meanings dependent on the environment.
UNIVAC used it to mean interval timer.  The one in the PC hardware is
generally called a CMOS clock.

>> it *should* be showing UTC.  UNIX doesn't use local time, it converts the
>> time representation to wherever you happen to be.  That's why you can
>> use the TZ environment variable to display time anywhere in the world.
>>
>> Having said that, FreeBSD has a kludge for coexisting with Microsoft
>> on the same machine: it's called adjkerntz, and it does just about
>> what you're describing, so you probably have it running.  You can
>> check if it's running with ps(1).  Unless you happen to run Microsoft
>> on the same machine, you can safely remove it.
>
> adjkerntz is running (I have M$ on this machine). I've just rebooted
> and gone into BIOS setup to confirm the CMOS clock time and it is
> showing the correct time.

What do you mean by "correct"?  My CMOS clock shows UTC, and that's
correct.  Since UTC and GMT are pretty much the same thing, you might
consider UTC to currently be "incorrect".  But I suppose you mean that
it's showing BST, right?

> Since you say FreeBSD doesn't change the CMOS clock

I didn't say that.  adjkerntz *does* update the clock.  Take a look at
the man page: it's extensive.

> I don't have a problem, everything is working, I was just curious
> *why* it was working.

Right.  I think this is thanks to adjkerntz.

> BTW, In a previous post of yours in this thread you mentioned about
> Windows not knowing about the TZ in Northern Territories,

That's the Northern Territory.  There's only one of them.

> which from then on you referred to as NT.

That's the official abbreviation.

> The last sentence (I've deleted
> the message so I can't quote it verbatim) read something like
> "...obviously Windows doesn't know about NT". I don't know if the
> double entendre was intentional but it was highly amusing either
> way :-)

What I said was:

  The version I have also seems to think that SA reaches all the way
  to the north of the continent, eliminating the Northern Territory:
  it believes that NT doesn't exist :-)

And yes, the double entendre was intentional.  That was the whole
point.  I'm off to the AUUGwet conference in Darwin NT next week, and
I'm wondering how to bring the matter to their attention.

Greg