Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 1999 13:45:14 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Error C:1027 > 1023 bios limit

On Friday, 29 January 1999 at 21:30:29 -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
> 	I have a nice new HP Omnibool 7100 that I am trying to install FreeBSD
> 	3.0 on. This machne came withan 8.1G drive. Win95 was installed on a
> 	slice consisting of the first 2G. I boored from the FreeBSD CD, ran the
> 	novice install. From there Iselected to install booteasy.
>
> 	At this point in time, I can boot Win85 by selecting F! at the booteasy
> 	prompt, but any atempt to boot teh FreeBSD system results in the error
> 	message:
>
> 	Error C:1027 > 1023 biso limit.
>
> 	What should I do?

You're going to have to repartition the disk. Your machine obviously
has a 2 GB limit on what the BIOS can access.  In the Microsoft world,
the Microsoft driver takes care of accessing the rest of the disk, but
that doesn't help you when you want to boot.  You'll have to ensure
that your root partition is completely below the 2 GB limit.  If
you're lucky, you have two Microsoft partitions (primary and
extended), and you could move the extended partition to the end of the
disk.

Greg