Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 06:09:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        max@wide.ad.jp, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the location of the Handbook and the FAQ

 * Whoops, you lost me there!  Explain?  What is the "local" tree we
 * are talking about?

The local doc source tree.

 * The difference, as far as how the port is constructed, is small.
 * The japanese handbook port has a dependency that you have to step
 * outside the standard ports mechanism to satisfy--getting the
 * handbook source.  What is needed is not a standard place to have
 * the source installed on your system, but a standard place you can
 * ftp it from.  Alternately, it could be cvsupped directly into the
 * work directory by the port makefile.

And didn't you already line out all the sticky parts of how to do
that?  Sure, we can move all the nastiness out of the ports mechanism
to whatever script you are going to write to build the tarball on the
ftp site and commit the date/checksum changes to the ports, but I
think the current japanese/handbook method is MUCH simpler.

 * Although it isn't any harder to DO once you know WHAT to do, you
 * do have to figure out what to do (cvsupping the doc-all
 * collection) and I get a fair amount of email from puzzled users
 * about that point.  Eliminating the external depenedency would
 * remove that apparently not-completely-obvious step.

Totally clueless people can use packages.  As for clueful users, I
don't think cvsupping doc-all is that much harder than cvsupping
ports-all.

Satoshi