Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 2020 08:48:54 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
To:        squiggly foo <foo.squiggly@yandex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running GUI applications in jails

This message is in MIME format and has been PGP signed.

--=_bpnVkkuOBKfevbTpyJTSZT4

Quoting squiggly foo <foo.squiggly@yandex.com> (from Mon, 08 Jun 2020=20=20
21:35:23=20-0500):

> Hi Alexander,
>
> You seem to have a lot of experience with X11 so I'm happy to hear=20=20
>=20your advice.
> To answer your first question about where the graphical output needs=20=
=20
>=20to happen:
>
> I am not sure I am understanding your question, but I am using one=20=20
>=20computer for
> all of this.  The Xserver component of X11 is running on this=20=20
>=20computer on the host
> (not jailed) and the xclients are the jailed gui applications.  My=20=20
>=20basic problem is to
> make sure that jailed gui applications cannot access the keystokes=20=20
>=20of other jailed gui
> applications. I guess I am confused by your question (maybe cause=20=20
>=20i'm thinking inside
> the box) but what other options are there for running the Xserver=20=20
>=20and Xclients on a single
> computer.  Or maybe you are suggesting multiple computers running=20=20
>=20Xservers?  Please
> let me know whatever your are thinking as a solution because I am=20=20
>=20open to ideas and
> thinking outside the box.

With X11 it doesn't matter if you talk about 1 or multiple computers.=20=20
Within=20the same network and with a fast enough speed of the network,=20=
=20
it=20should work (edge-cases may differ).

> Maybe I was also incorrect about running multiple Xservers on the=20=20
>=20same machine on
> different ttys but I thought that was an option.  I should check=20=20
>=20with X11 mailing
> list.
>
> It's funny that you mention running a Xvnc server inside of a jail=20=20
>=20with each gui
> application.  I have actually done that before but I never=20=20
>=20considered it as a possible
> option for solving my problem until now that you mentioned it.  So I=20=
=20
>=20will look into that
> more.  My only issue with this: the application that I want jailed=20=20
>=20the most is my
> "general browsing" firefox instance used for media websites like=20=20
>=20youtube but I am not
> sure how well a 1080p video will look over a vnc connection.  But I=20=20
>=20haven't tested this
> idea in awhile.

For your particular use cases you will only know if you test it. As=20=20
you=20are doing this locally, the "network" speed is a combination of=20=20
the=20internal bus / CPU / memory speed, and some vnc settings like=20=20
compression=20may play arole here too, but my gut feeling is, that this=20=
=20
could=20work.

> I suppose using Xephyr would be a similar yet heavier solution that=20=20
>=20just using your
> Xvnc server idea inside each jail.  Would you agree?
>
> I might also look into statically compiling Xpra (if possible) so=20=20
>=20that it at least feels
> cleaner that all the dependencies are inside one binary instead of=20=20
>=20all over my system.

I do not know Xephyr or Xpra. I had a very quick look at the=20=20
homepages,=20and it looks like they are "just" a normal X server (with=20=
=20
some=20special features) and use the X11 protocol. As such I do not=20=20
expect=20that their use will solve your problem (read: I expect that you=20=
=20
will=20be able to see keystrokes across all jails).

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
http://www.Leidinger.net=20Alexander@Leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF