Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 22:18:09 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        Mike Pritchard <pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf Makefile.i386

> Ok, how about conditionally adding /usr/include to the -I list.
> E.g. in the kernel makefile do:
>
> .if !exist /usr/src/include
> CFLAGS +=-I/usr/include
> .endif
>
> (or whatever the correct makefile syntax is)
>
> If I have /usr/src/include installed then my kernel build uses the include
> files from my source tree.  If I simply downloaded just the kernel sources,
> then it will pick up the include files from /usr/include.

Thanks Mike.  I used your ideas to cleanup the tree, which should now
cause all nay-sayers to agree that given the current constraints, it
*should* do the right thing.

Basically, this allows folks who don't have the srcdist installed
(basically the src/include directory) to pick up any necessary includes
from /usr/include.  However, if src/includes exists, then it will be
used and /usr/include will never enter the picture.

This means if you have an incomplete src/include tree you're hosed, but I
guess if it's incomplete you're hosed anyway.

Richard, is this an 'acceptable' solution?  (I know it's not the best
solution, but we don't have that yet)

Nate