Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 1996 12:56:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Stephen F. Combs" <combssf@salem.ge.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, dutchman@spase.nl, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HDD cpu usage (IDE vs. SCSI).

Years ago we did a series of tests on PC's with
IDE/EIDE/ST506/SCSI/etc....  Out of those tests came the following:

	If single-user O/S use single/multiple IDE(s)

	If multi-user O/S (WinNT, Unix, QNX, LynxO/S, etc.....) always,
	always use MULITPLE SCSI Disks w/SCSI Tape Backup.  Wherever
	possible, on server systems, use multiple SCSI with Multiple SCSI
	controllers

	Single disk configurations IDE/SCSI were a wash in all
configurations tested.  The degradation in a multi-user O/S with multiple
SCSI disks was less than 5%.  With Multiple IDEs the degradation exceeded
50%.  These were performed LOOOONG ago.

----
Stephen F. Combs                 Internet:	CombsSF@Salem.GE.COM
GE DS&TC		 	 Voice:		540.387.8828
Network Services		 Home:		CombsSF-Home@Salem.GE.COM
1501 Roanoke Blvd                FAX:		540.387.7106
Salem, VA  24153                 LapTop:	CombsSF-Mobile@Salem.GE.COM