Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:29:05 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improved install-time ports security audit patches

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 02:24:26AM -0600, Ryan Thompson wrote:

> > and checks for unsafe functions like gets, mktemp, tempnam, and
> > tmpnam (and if you have the PORTS_AUDIT env variable set, also
> > sprintf, strcat and strcpy), and reports on their occurrence in a
> > binary if they occur in conjunction with the binary being setugid,
> > or a network client/server.
>=20
> Good stuff. I suppose that this may induce some unwarranted (but
> possibly useful) paranoia, with harmless/careful uses of gets et.
> al... Any idea how many ports are going to generate these warnings?
> I'd guess if it's "most of them", the warnings are likely going to get
> ignored by many. But, as with the other warnings, when their box gets
> rooted, at least we can say "I told ya so". :-)

I don't know yet..I'll put it through a bento run before I commit it
to test that.  However, *any* port which uses the functions it will
warn about by default should be fixed.  The paranoid-mode ones are
functions which are possible to use safely or not, but are often
misused.

Kris

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l--