Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 2000 07:56:54 -0500
From:      "Ben Goodwin" <ben-lists@atomicmatrix.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   34GB+ hard drives and FreeBSD 3.4 - doesn't work!

------=_NextPart_000_0051_01BF85AF.3523E8A0

I *know* I saw a message in one of these lists some time back stating =
that there was a problem with the ATAPI/IDE driver in FreeBSD 3.4 (but =
not in 4.0) with disks around the 34 GB mark.  Of course I didn't read =
it then cuz I didn't have anything of that nature, but now I do.  I have =
some 40 GB drives, and I can't access all the space w/out crashing the =
system.  I had hoped the problem would be patched so I cvsup'ed the =
kernel to -stable but no such luck.  Is there a workaround/patch?
I've tried many times to search the mailing lists but I just can't find =
anything (except a coupel other people asking basically the same =
question)

To be specific about the problem, I'm vinum-concat'ing these drives =
together.  If I label the disks to 60,000 sectors, all works well. When =
I tried 680000 sectors, it newfs'ed fine, but when I mounted the =
resulting filesystem, I couldn't see anything with an ls -la (not even =
"." or "..") and any attempts to write to the filesystem (regardless of =
whether I had permission to do so) the o/s would crash.  This is with =
both 3.4R and 3.4S as of yesterday.  It's not a problem with too big a =
filesystem - as I've concat'ed 3 60,0000-sector pieces together just =
fine, but couldn't mess with a 2-disk 68,000 sector setup ...

TIA,

    -=3D| Ben

------=_NextPart_000_0051_01BF85AF.3523E8A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I *know* I saw a message in one of =
these lists some=20
time back stating that there was a problem with the ATAPI/IDE driver in =
FreeBSD=20
3.4 (but not in 4.0) with disks around the 34 GB mark.&nbsp; Of course I =
didn't=20
read it then cuz I didn't have anything of that nature, but now I =
do.&nbsp; I=20
have some 40 GB drives, and I can't access all the space w/out crashing =
the=20
system.&nbsp; I had hoped the problem would be patched so I cvsup'ed the =
kernel=20
to -stable but no such luck.&nbsp; Is there a =
workaround/patch?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've tried many times to search the =
mailing lists=20
but I just can't find anything (except a coupel other people asking =
basically=20
the same question)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>To be specific about the problem, I'm=20
vinum-concat'ing these drives together.&nbsp; If I label the disks to =
60,000=20
sectors, all works well. When I tried 680000 sectors, it newfs'ed fine, =
but when=20
I mounted the resulting filesystem, I couldn't see anything with an ls =
-la (not=20
even "." or "..") and any attempts to write to the filesystem =
(regardless of=20
whether I had permission to do so) the o/s would crash.&nbsp; This is =
with both=20
3.4R and 3.4S as of yesterday.&nbsp; It's not a problem with too big a=20
filesystem - as I've concat'ed 3 60,0000-sector pieces together just =
fine, but=20
couldn't mess with a 2-disk 68,000 sector setup ...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>TIA,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -=3D| =
Ben</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0051_01BF85AF.3523E8A0--