Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 1999 21:22:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jim Pazarena <paz@ccstores.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re:Logging inetd and all connections

 >Subject: Logging inetd and all connections/failures
 >To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
 >From: Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
 >Date: 06 Nov 1999 14:06:36 -0500

 >Trying to make inetd and syslog log every connection attempt, I have
 >added to my rc.conf.local:

 >inetd_flags="-lwW"
 >log_in_vain="YES"

 >However, neither successful nor unccessful telnet connections are
 >logged. Neither are pings and alike. syslogd and inetd are running.

 >What's missing?

inetd logs "refused" connections by default, but not accepted ones.
/etc/rc.conf entry:
inetd_flags="-l"        should be all you need.

successful logging is syslogd to: daemon.info

perhaps your /etc/syslog.conf is missing the entry for daemon.info
anfd finally the log file must pre-exist; suslogger won't create a missing
file.

--
Jim Pazarena     mailto:paz@ccstores.com
                 http://www.qcislands.net/paz