Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 01:52:09 -0700
From:      David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        ache@astral.msk.su (=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=), nate@sri.MT.net, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, scrappy@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@freefall.freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: bin/1019

* David, what do you think about reworking it?
*
* I think the summary of the opinions is:
*
* . no strong opposition against having this as an (optional) feature,
* . it must be safe to use however, i.e. the chance of a misdetection
*   should be minimal.

Currently I detect packets with two methods:

	1.  I look for the character 0x7e followed by 0xff.  These are
	    specified by the PPP protocol as the characters that start
	    PPP packets.

	2.  I look for the following bit of junk " } } " that just happens
	    to occur somewhere in the middle of PPP packets.

Why did I take this approach?  Because getty flushes buffers.  In order
to make a more deterministic getty, I would need to either:

	1.  Teach it more about what are valid PPP packets; or

	2.  Keep it from throwing away any input so that it can be sure
	    that it's matching against the beginning of a packet.

The way I figure it, even with my current methods, the chance of a
noise-caused false positive is slight: First, this is in getty, not login so
once any login name has been entered the detection will no longer
operate.

Second, most modems in use these days do error correction so line noise
isn't as likely.

Third, it's optional and defaults to off so it's only going to be on in
situations where people are calling up with PPP.  This means that the only
people at risk of a false positive are those with old modems connecting to
ISPs that are servicing a crowd that's using PPP.  This group is small, but
it isn't zero.

Okay, what's the chance?  I'm not sure.  When I've used modems without
error control, I've sometimes seen patters like " } } ", so I'm not sure
that that one is impossible.  Even though it's longer than the 0x7f 0xff
pattern, I think it's more likely.

As for me doing a better job of detecting it, I'm not sure.  Certainly
not immediatly.  I think a more interesting thing would be to work on
either mgetty or faxgetty and teach them to do it.  I would like to be
able to receive faxes too!

-Dave

--BAA09283.829903207/freefall.freebsd.org--