Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:21:09 -0600
From:      seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting memory allocators for library functions.

In message <Pine.LNX.4.33.0102261917120.5502-100000@duckman.distro.conectiva>,
Rik van Riel writes:
>I don't think a failed kernel-level allocation after overcommit
>should generate a segfault.

>IMHO it should send a bus error (or a sigkill if the process
>doesn't exit after the SIGBUS).

Same difference, so far as the language is concerned.

>Rationale:
>SIGSEGV for _user_ mistakes (process accesses wrong stuff)
>SIGBUS for _system_ errors  (ECC error, kernel messes up, ...)

As long as we grant that it's the kernel *messing up*, I won't complain;
no one said an implementation could be perfect, and known bugs go with the
territory.  I only object to attempts to portray it as a legitimate and
correct implementation of the C spec.

-s