Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 14:36:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        karl@Mcs.Net, jgreco@solaria.sol.net, Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, core@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6+++: crt0.c CRITICAL CHANGE

> >The FIX is the go through setlocale() and fix the holes in the code!
> >Nothing else is adequate, and every other path is a LOT more work.
>
> Every method for fixing this, and numerous other potential problems with
> 2.1.6, 2.2, and 3.0 requires study, and after acceptance, careful coding,
> a review process, and documentation.  To do otherwise is to open us to a
> recurring cycle of security whole/quick fix/security whole/quick fix.  Core
> has already determined a course of action on these issues and a statement
> regarding the entire issue will be released once it has passed final review.

I was told that this release would be posted LAST NIGHT.

Its 15 hours beyond "last night".  No information has been posted.  Why?

I've now provided a patch.  Either commit it or get off the pot.

> This will only serve to confuse our userbase about what the exact problem
> is, which releases and binaries are affected, and how to address the problem
> completly.  During Core's investigation of this problem, much more information
> then you provided has surfaced all of which will be communicated in our
> announcement.

That's false.  The setlocale() problem is fixable with a patch to
setlocale().

> >2.2 is ALSO affected.  That's being IGNORED right now.
>
> Not true.  Simply because you are not privy to the discussions about this
> issue does not mean that we are ignoring anything.  Our announcement will
> have information on *all* versions of FreeBSD that have this problem.

Keeping the discussion private (ie: "not privvy") means you believe there's
something to hide.  I disagree.  Either discourse in public or it doesn't
count in my book.

Again, the talkd bug handling is what got me going on this generic issue
with FreeBSD.  Now we have a much more serious one.

> Your attitude has not been one of, "Here is the problem, how can I direct
> the resources at my disposal to help the project correct it."  Instead,
> you have pronounced yourself the "unsung hero" of security that will create
> a solution of your own liking and publish whatever (dis)information you
> see fit.  As I mentioned before, this only adds to the confusion.

Bullshit.  I have now published a patch which corrects the problem in
setlocale().

> If you have the resources to contribute to fixing this problem, all you need
> to do is promise to cooperate in a controlled effort and we'll happily accept
> your help.  Right now, you look like a loaded gun with the safety off and we
> cannot afford that kind of instability while we work to handle this delicate
> situation.

CORE created the loaded gun by mishandling the talkd problem.  You further
exacerbated it with this mess.  Now you have a patch in hand.

> >My fealty isn't to the core team.  Its to the people out there who run the
> >code, and to those who I've recommended use the software in question.
>
> Then quit confusing them with your comments and wait for our pending security
> announcement which will have all of the facts straight and give proper
> guidlines for securing an affected system.

In a pig's eye.  THAT goal could have been accomplished within hours.

I waited for the promised announcement last night.  It never came.

Now I've coded a patch to fix the problem.  Its been posted, and I'm
verifying it.  If it passes my inspection I want it committed, or a damn
good reason why it won't be.

NOW.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 773 248-9865]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal