Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 15:01:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: want to discuss three new variables in the ports collection

 * Hi !

Hi!  (BTW, I'm not "satoshi@freebsd.org". :)

 * What would you think about introducing three new variables
 * into the ports mechanism ?! HOMEPAGE, AUTHOR and
 * MAILINGLIST ?!

Others have already commented on this, so I'll keep it short.  I would
not like to have a mailing address of the author in a port/package.
The last thing we would like to have is novice FreeBSD users blindly
spewing questions in the original author's direction without even
checking the docs that come with the package.  (We don't want to look
like aol or webtv, do we? :)

However, I think having the homepage (which is more of a documentation
than an easy help address) readily available is a good idea.  So I
would like to recommend porters to put it in DESCR or MESSAGE.

Satoshi