Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 09:18:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Johannes Zwart <johannes@jak.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why not XEmacs, after all?

Johannes Zwart writes:
> lex manno wrote:
> > Netscape isn't so great after all with all those bugs
> > that go with it.
> Like?

You don't get the freebsd security warnings, do you? The last three
times I've upgraded netscape have been due to security bugs that
allowed malicious servers to access files on my disk.

There are also regular discussions about which of the many versions of
netscape in the ports tree crash the least often. I personally don't
run into that, but I don't run Netscape as my main browser (see
below).

The most annoying bug that I know still exists is that it doesn't
implement the "ignore author colors" setting properly, so if you use
it you risk getting the author text color on your background color -
which could well be unreadable (as opposed to getting the authors text
color on the authors background color - which could well be
unreadable).

I haven't been building general purpose web apps recently, so I'm out
of touch with what the current bug set is. Historically it's ranged
from improper HTML parsing to not handling redirects as per spec. I'd
be surprised if the current version were any better. Hearsay from
inside Netscape indicates that Mozilla will be *much* better about
that. If true, I'd blame it on them having lost the "embrace and
extend" war to MicroSoft.

> > XEmacs seems to be a much better web
> > browser than Netscape. Actually, combining all these
> > different functions, it seems to be the ultimate
> > editor.

I don't agree. It's slow, and I hate having my editor tied up fetching
and displaying web pages. I use w3m as a primary browser. I configure
it as the first external browser (so I can "open link in new window"),
netscape as the second external browser (so poorly written or highly
graphical pages can be displayed with a few keystrokes), and a script
that adds the link to my cross-platform multi-browser hotlist as the
third external browser.

	<mike