Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:03:27 -0600
From:      eculp@casasponti.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suitability question

Quoting Ott K=F6stner <ottk@zzz.ee>:

> On Thursday 18 December 2008 11:25:51 pm Patrick Baldwin wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking I might be best of trying to built him a really
>> locked-down, high security
>> box, almost an Internet appliance.  All he really does is use the Web,
>> and a little
>> light word processing.
>>
>> What do people think of FreeBSD as the base OS for this idea?
>
> In this case, I would recommend to use PC-BSD.
> http://www.pcbsd.org/
>
> PC-BSD is full FreeBSD 7.1, with nice grapical installer, =20
> pre-configured for desktop use. Xorg, KDE, Firefox, Thunderbird, =20
> Open Office, flash, etc. -- all will work out of the box...
>
> After installing PC-BSD, you can think of it as a standard FreeBSD =20
> -- Upgrade ports, build kernel, etc.

Does anyone know if Flash 9 works on pcbsd?  In fact, I use current =20
and it works but hangs probably 4 times a day and I have to kill the =20
linux pviewer.bin processes and restart apache to continue.  It is =20
much better than nothing though.  I'm still using wine with windows =20
firefox and flash doesn't give me any problems but I have problems =20
with character sets so I use it only for flash.

ed