Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:51:24 +0200
From:      "albi@scii.nl" <albi@scii.nl>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: postfix, ubuntu+postfix and FBSD+sendmail

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:05:16 -0700
Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:

> > from the posting it's not so clear to me that the poster is running
> > postfix on FreeBSD and/or ubuntu ?
> >
> > if the latter only, then i'd like to add that in ubuntu warty (not
> > sure about hoary), the postfix master.cf was by default configured
> > to accept only mail from localhost
>

> 	On my FBSD mailserver I run sendmail, on my ubuntu computer I'm
> 	running postfix.  Can't make much sense of master.cf from a
> 	glance.  Is there a way of accepting mail from any/all other
> 	servers?

a google-search for "ubuntu postfix master.cf" found this :

http://www.petersblog.org/node/839

The solution to this was to edit the /etc/postfix/master.cf file and
change the lines:

127.0.0.1:smtp inet n   -       -       -       -       smtpd
::1:smtp       inet n   -       -       -       -       smtpd

smtp      inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd

which tells it to listen to any connection to the smtp port, not just
local connections.

HTH