Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 1997 14:44:03 -0400
From:      Ted Knight <e.knight@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Photo manipulation SW

Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Sorry for the double post....
>
> Graphic image manipulation programs are closely tied to multimedia .
> This is a topic that I was hoping to open up to the group;however,
> in my case I have been tied up with low level stuff.
>
> It is never too late to start talking about cool graphic/image
> manipulation 8) If you visit my sound driver web page ,
> you will see a neat looking heading which was generated over the
> net using net-fu:
> http://rah.star-gate.com/HyperNews/get/forums/sound.html
> http://scheme.xcf.berkeley.edu/net-fu/
>
> So lets open up to the forum by starting to talk about gimp or a cool
> gimp image procedure or filter . Any takers?
>
> Why gimp? Cause there are tons of references in the web about gimp and
> in some cases people translate adobe photoshop procedures to gimp.
> Among many things, one of the nice features of gimp is that it has
> a plug-in interface so additionally functionality is easy to distribute
> For example , the scsi scanner software package has a gimp plugin
> interface which allows it to import scanned images directly into
> gimp for image manipulation.
>
> Before we get into language wars because gimp's nterpreter is
> scheme . Eric Hernes <rrnet.com> wrote a tcl interface for gimp
> so at the very least we have to available interpreters to use;although,
> most available script-fu procedures are written in scheme.
>
>         Enjoy,
>         Amancio
I have compiled  gimp-0.99.19 flawlessly on freebsd it works very well.
If you are going to use Script-Fu you will need the freefont collection
and you will have to install the gimp data from gimp-0.99.9 to get all
of the scripts to run ( this one point is not documented ).  Therer are
many tutorials to assist in doing neat image manipulations.

TK