Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 21:36:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      A Ling <fbsd2@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Inexpensive PCI 802.11b NIC recommendations?

  Someone in my family who shall remain nameless wants
to move their Win98 box 2 walls and a ceiling away
from the 4.5-stable Internet gateway, between which it
turns out to be inconvenient to run cat-5.  I'd like
to solve this by dropping a couple of Wi-Fi PCI NICs
into these desktops (who knows where the Win box may
move next).  From what I've read, external antenna
connectors would be desirable in case the walls are
too thick, etc.  Source for if_wi.c seems to suggest
the Linksys WMP-11 native PCI card is already
supported as of the recent big MFC, and I get the
impression that the D-link DWL-520 might be similar
enough that if it isnt already supported, its just a
matter of time before that happens.  Is this way off
base?  (Ecost has the D-link cards for $73!)  Are
there any other cards I should look for?  I plan on
running them in ad hoc mode without WEP, and dealing
with security by tunnelling HTTP, SMTP, and IMAP via
SSH from Win98 to FreeBSD (the SSH tunnel and Apache
non-caching proxy already work fine over the
existing, but soon to be obsolete 10-base T
connection).
   I also have been assuming that support for the
D-link and Linksys 802.11a PCI cards may not
materialize in time for my project.  Thanks in advance
for your help.
Alex