Date:      Fri, 25 Nov 2016 18:12:08 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
To:        Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
Cc:        c279@dropcut.net, Olivier <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi advice [RPI2B V1.2 is not ARMv7A but Cortex-A53, I'm afraid; slower than RPI3B, no WiFi/Bluetooth]

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 01:13:51AM -0800, Mark Millard wrote:
> On 2016-Nov-25, at 12:39 AM, c279 at dropcut.net wrote:
>
> > Hi Oliver,
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 10:26:20AM +0700, Olivier wrote:
> >> I am not sure I am on the right list, if not, please help and point me
> >> to the correct one.
> > This mailing list is primarily for individuals working to port FreeBSD
> > to new ARM-based systems and improve existing support.
> > General resources for the Raspberry Pi might be:
> > * https://www.raspberrypi.org/resources/
> > * https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/robot/buttons_and_switches/
> > * https://learn.adafruit.com/category/raspberry-pi

> >> My questions are the following:
> >> - which version buying? 2B or 3B?
> > The Raspberry Pi 2 has the best support[0] as of today. You can roll
> > your own image for the Raspberry Pi 3[1] if you need to. I personally
> > would choose an RPi2 for FreeBSD at this point.
>
> RPI2B V1.1 and before I think that is. The information I've found on
> ordering a RPI2B V1.2 indicates is is now also a (slower) 64-bit arm
> (Cortex-A53 quad core in a BCM2837), like the RPI3B.

Slower than the same BCM2837 on the Pi3, but I don't think it is slower
compared to the older Pi2 models.

> For example: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=163856 (From Oct.)
> And: https://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/raspberrypi2
> And: http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/11/21/raspberry-pi-2-gets-an-upgrade-to-64-bit-broadcom-bcm2837-processor-with-pcb-version-1-2/
> (You can find more.)
>
> "Previous versions of Raspberry Pi 2 Model B use the BCM2836 SoC, which
> contains a quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor. The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
> v1.2 board uses BCM2837, which contains a quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 processor."
> (This is from the element14 page.)
>
> RPI2B V1.1 is out of production from what I can tell, although one might
> still be able to find one. It gets harder to find one over time.
>
> RPI2B V1.2 does not have WiFi/Bluetooth built in.
>
> It is too bad that they did not at least name it Raspberry Pi 2C.

>From the pricepoint the new Pi2 Rev 1.2 is the same as the Pi3,
but at lower CPU clock and without the WiFi/BT.
I don't see any good reasons to buy a Pi2 anymore, unless for some regularoty
reasons you can't have a WiFi/BT chip mounted or need the old LED location.
Well - and curiosity, that's why I bought one of the Rev 1.2 myself.

In direct comparison the Pi2B Rev 1.1 and Rev 1.2 look the same.
The only difference is the revsion on the silk screen and the BCM chip.