Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:33:50 -0800
From:      "Nathaniel G H" <bsd_appliance@bemail.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Text mode video operations

>I was wondering why VESA_800x600 refreshes to 80x25 and figured out,
>that
>
>>size[0] = 80;   /* columns */
>>size[1] = 25;   /* rows */
>>
>>for mode SW_VESA_800x600 (line 319 of src/usr.sbin/vidcontrol.c).
>>A screen resolution of 800x600 would make
>>
>>size[0] = 100;  /* columns */
>>size[1] = 37;   /* rows */

Hi folks,

Speaking of video operations... does anybody know where I can find
some decent VGA programming documentation?  (Or, if possible, someone
who knows a few obscure details.)

I specifically need to know, if possible, how to display hardware-
rendered character- and software-rendered pixel-based images on the
same display at the same time.

This is necessary for a program whose primary display requirements are
as follows:
1. The display consists mostly of character-based text that must be
   updated frequently and rapidly.
2. Pixel-based graphics, when displayed /some of the time/, must
   appear at the same time as text, but are updated infrequently and
   do not overlap with text.

Currently, we operate in "text" mode (80x25) and switch to graphics to
display pixel-based images.  While in graphics mode, character bitmaps
(which are read from the VGA ROM) are rendered in software.  This is a
waste of runtime, code size, and extra work on my part, especially
when the character rendering functionality is such a basic part of all
VGA hardware.  I would like to operate in the same resolution and
frequency all the time, for both types of operations.

Finally, I apologise if my question doesn't belong on this list, but I
have tried just about everything and, as always, posting questions is
my last resort.

If somebody knows where I can find this information, /please/ let me
know.  I will be more than happy to make the results available so that
others can benefit from this work.

Thank you kindly,
Nathaniel G H