Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:32:46 +0900
From:      Hideyuki Suzuki <hideyuki@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        owensc@enc.edu
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs update fails

From: Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
Date: 27 Feb 1998 11:48:20 +0900

> On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > Hmmm... I might suspect this, but I can do a cvs update on another box
> > > from the same repository without any trouble.
> >
> > Hmmm.  Sounds like an NFS bogon to me then.  V2 or V3 mounts?
>
> Was using V3.  I just remounted it using V2 and tried again:  same
> problem... cvs dumps core while chewing on .../src/usr.sbin/pkg_install.
> Next I did this:
>
> 	cd .../src/usr.sbin
> 	cvs release pkg_install
> 	# similar core dumping of cvs ensues, message like "cannot
> 	#    release module pkg_install".   Grrrrr:
>
> 	rm -r pkg_install
> 	cvs checkout pkg_install
> 	# success!
> 	cvs update	# update .../src/usr.sbin -> success!
> 	cd ..
> 	cvs update	# update all source -> success!
>
> Apparantly somewhere along the way something in the pkg_install source
> files got corrupted enough to choke cvs.  No way of doing more than
> guessing as to the root cause...

Yesterday, I saw cvs dumped core in src/usr.sbin/pkg_install
while updating all source.  Since the problem went away
after another checkout, I just thought I've mistakenly broke something.
But the same problem at the same place...

In my case, both the repository and the source are on the local disk.
--
Hideyuki Suzuki <hideyuki@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Department of Mathematical Engineering, the University of Tokyo