Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:26:01 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha snapshots? (was RE: Alphserver 2100 4/233)

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 01:08:01PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > > And after that, some of nics which are unlikely to be found in alphas
> > > (rl, sf, sis, ste, tl, vr, wb, xl, le, fxp).
> >
> > Overall I could go this way, but not with the list above.  Right now `xl'
> > is the best Alpha NIC we have.  With `xl' removed, I wouldn't be able to
> > install on my AS 250 as it is on a 100-mbit only switch via an `xl'.
> > `xl' is the only NIC in my PC164SX box.
>
> Huh? I've found de and dc to be satisfactory.

Yes, if you happen to have a `dc' or `de' card laying around.  Please
don't forget the PC164SX comes with no no-board NIC.  So the assembler of
the machine is able to install their favorite NIC (or some cheapass Fry's
POS).

Or did you mean the performance issue?  Only `xl' and `fxp' can do
zero-copy on coming packets (as wpaul told me yesterday).  wpaul seems to
prefer the `xl' cards, and I want to use the NIC he supports the best, so
I prefer to use `xl' when possible.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)