Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 22:14:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@corbulon.video-collage.com>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: graphics/transcode and IDE DVD-drives

> Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > Is the combination in subject supposed to work? On my -stable system,
> > I keep getting:
> >
> > 	root@celsius:/home/mi (106) tcprobe -i /dev/racd0a
> > 	file read error: Invalid argument
> > 	[tcprobe] unknown file type
> > 	[tcprobe] filetype/codec not yet supported by 'tcprobe'
> > 	root@celsius:/home/mi (107) tcprobe -i /dev/acd0c
> > 	file read error: Invalid argument
> > 	[tcprobe] unknown file type
> > 	[tcprobe] filetype/codec not yet supported by 'tcprobe'
>
> Have you tried a 'tcprobe -i /mountpoint/of/dvd-drive' yet ?

Mmm, no... I presumed, this should result in EBUSY, should not it?

But now that you mention it, I tried it, and it does work -- against
all odds:

% tcprobe -i /cdrom
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/acd0c mounted on /cdrom for CSS authentication
[tcprobe] DVD image/device
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/acd0c mounted on /cdrom for CSS authentication
(dvd_reader.c) mpeg2 ntsc 16:9 only letterboxed U0 720x480 video

Why wouldn't it work when the disk is not mounted? Thanks!

	-mi