Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2012 17:37:04 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Walter Hurry <walterhurry@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1-RC1 Available...

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 00:50:46 -0400, Ken Smith wrote:

> The first release candidate of the 9.1-RELEASE release cycle is now
> available on the FTP servers for amd64, i386, and powerpc64.  The
> MD5/SHA256 checksums are at the bottom of this message.  The ISO images
> and, for architectures that support it, the memory stick images are
> available here:
>
>   ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/9.1/
>
> (or any of the FreeBSD mirror sites).
<snip>

I have just upgraded (an x86_64 VM) from 9.0-RELEASE to 9.1-RC1, using
freebsd-update. Very smooth, and no apparent hitches at all. Thanks to
all concerned, and well done.

One thing (welcome, but puzzling) which surprised me was that my
vboxguest.ko did *not* need to be recompiled. How did the upgrade manage
that?