Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:46:14 -0700
From:      Brian Litzinger <brian@mpress.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   more on Tyan motherboard changes

Perhaps the following is what all the silence is about:
--
Brian Litzinger
brian@mediacity.com

MILPITAS, CA, (April 18, 1997) -- TYAN Computer, a leading developer of
system boards and add-in cards, today announced the Talon AT, a high
performance dual Pentium Pro I2O system board. The Talon AT will give a
significant Input/Output performance boost to servers and other high-end
computer systems.

The new motherboard, which is upgradable from one to two processors and
allows you to choose a wide range of Pentium Pro processor speeds and
types (150-200MHz with 256K/512K cache), will ship in May.

TYAN's Talon AT utilizes Intel's newest and fastest Pentium Pro chipset,
the 440FX PCIset. It has eight PCI slots (four bus master and four
I2O-compliant) and three ISA slots, which allows room for PCI expansion
and support for older cards. This full size (13"x12") AT board includes
eight 72-pin SIMM sockets with support for a maximum of 1GB EDO or FPM
DRAM.

The Talon AT features Intel's i960 I2O processor with Wind River
Systems' IxWorks RT Operating System installed to implement the I2O
architecture. I2O is a new architecture that is being promoted by Intel
and others to improve I/O performance by offloading I/O interruptions
to free the server's CPU for applications processing. TYAN is a member
of the I2O SIG which is spearheading the development of the standard.
Novell, Microsoft, and The Santa Cruz Operation are among those
developing I2O compliant upgrades to their operating systems.

"The Talon AT motherboard is positioned to the mid-range server and
high-end computer systems user. It demonstrates TYAN's commitment to
delivering leading edge technology in order to give our customers a
competitive advantage," said TYAN President Larry Barber.

Other standard features of the Talon AT include a new LM78 sensor chip,
which protects the system from overheating and provides a server-level
system monitoring with on-board alarms for voltage, fan and heat; an
on-board switching voltage regulator; and on-board PCI EIDE. It also has
Super I/O for maximum performance, enabling it to utilize a wide variety
of hard disks, CD-ROMs, modems and other peripherals. TYAN offers a
choice of Award or AMI Plug 'n' Play Flash BIOS. The Talon AT is backed
by a two year warranty.  [promo stuff deleted]