Date:      Sun, 09 Dec 2001 19:00:24 +0000
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE crashes - suspects new ata-driver over wd-drivers

"Chad R. Larson" wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 01:33:15PM -0800, Brady Montz wrote:
> > Yeah, I'm using soft updates too.  My crashes are generally the
> > same as Richards - no panic, just a freeze.  Except my screen
> > doesn't go blank.
>
> For what it's worth, I'm using soft updates on a web server that gets
> steady if not heavy use.  Built from RELENG_4_3, and no problems at
> all.
>
>         -crl
> --
> Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
> chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com
> DCF, Inc. - 14623 North 49th Place, Scottsdale, Arizona 85254-2207

Me 2 :(

I have a total lockup, screen is not blank (Matrox G400).

I turned off soft updates and did a boot -v and got some
console messages, so this is worth a try. Unfortunately the
messages don't make it to the logs, presumably because the
disk and/or disk subsystem is fubar'd. The one time a got
a spontaineous reboot I was out of the room making coffee
(typical).

Anyway the messages are something like
ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done

It's not always the same drive.

There were also some of my favorite "UDMA ICRC" errors, but
I didn't catch those. For those with long memories this is
the same box I've had UDMA problems with before (numerous
posts with UDMA ICRC in subject) but it's been well behaved
since early July. Maybe I haven't pushed it hard enough.
I also got one instance of "unexpected soft update inconsisency"
while fscking. Maybe this is to be expected if the drive "just
dies".

What's interesting is the behavior seems to have changed. On
previous occasions the driver would keep resetting and then
drop to pio mode. Now it seems to lock after the first reset.
I'll try to confirm this behavior.

I set pio mode on all drives and I managed to complete my
torture test.

One more thing. Sometimes there's a clunk from the drive{s)
when it dies. Parking the heads?

FWIW -
VIA ATA33 controller
4x UDMA 66 drives