Date:      28 Jun 1999 13:28:15 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Frank Tobin <ftobin@bigfoot.com>
Subject:   Re: file flags during low securelevels

Frank Tobin <ftobin@bigfoot.com> writes:
> Jason Young, at 01:02 on Fri, 25 Jun 1999, wrote:
> > In what situations are you running into problems with schg/sappnd? There's
> > only a few things that are schg/sappnd out of the box, and those targets
> > are handled by make world and the kernel install target automatically
> > assuming you're in an appropriate securelevel.
> I haven't looked that thorougly into the 'make world' installation
> process, but from watching output, it doesn't seem like it removes file
> flags from files it installs.  Only on the ones in /usr/obj.

If you've never run make world on the box, only the kernel is schg
(quite simply because tar/cpio don't preserve flags). If you *have*
run make world, there's a whole lot of useless (e.g. /bin/rcp) and
not-so-useles (e.g. /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1) stuff marked schg.
Finally, if you intend to raise the secure level, there's a whole lot
of critical stuff (e.g. /boot.config, /boot/*, /etc/*) that should be
schg, but isn't. Beware of files that aren't there; even if you don't
need /boot.config, you should create an empty one and mark it schg so
black hats can't create one of their own.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no