Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 2002 01:52:41 +0200
From:      "Daniel Blankensteiner" <db@traceroute.dk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ICMP

Hi all

The really should be a FreeBSD-Programmer@FreeBSD.org, but never mind
:-)

I have been playing with socket programming for some time now and have
moved on to raw sockets. (I don't use libnet or libpcap, because I first
want to learn it from the bottom).
I know how to send ICMP packets, but how do I receive? I can "take over"
the hole networkcard and read all packets, but I just want the ones for
my connection. If I set up a raw socket and send an ICMP I can get the
response (because the ICMP have an ID-feild?), but that if I have setup
a SOCK_STREAM or SOCK_DGRAM? How can I then detect ICMP?

br
db