Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2018 09:46:11 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Olivier Houchard <mlfbsd@ci0.org>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net>
Subject:   Re: Retiring two more: Atmel and Xscale

On Fri, 2018-07-13 at 11:56 +0200, Olivier Houchard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 03:54:09PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:

> > > users.

> > > I thought a depreciation policy was in process to help deal with
> > > all of these.
> > >
> > It will, but these two are no-brainers. The last known users of
> > both of
> > these sub-ports are done with them (Atmel since 8.2, Xscale maybe
> > longer).
> > The one Atmel product I'm aware of will never upgrade past 8.2. The
> > Xscale
> > stuff has not been used even longer in any serious way (since the 7
> > timeframe, though there were one or two possible single users).
> >
> > If there's no objections, I'll just remove. If there are
> > objections, it
> > will be easy enough to do under that umbrella.
> >
> I think I'm the last known Xscale "user", and I would be more than
> glad
> to see it gone :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Olivier

And I (well, $work) was the last known major user of atmel stuff. We
were never able to get any version of freebsd after 8.2 to be stable
enough on at91 hardware to ship products. That was after investing a
couple hundred hours in trying to track down and fix causes of panics
and disk data corruption in freebsd 9, 10, and 11 on our hardware. I
never tried 12, because $work hasn't been interested in investing any
more resources in such old hardware.

I'm not convinced freebsd > 8 is really robust any armv4 or v5 systems,
but we do have plenty of reports of "it works for me", so we've been
doing what we can to keep it limping along for those folks. Afaik, that
community is now down to users of Marvell Kirkwood chips (Sheeva and
other *Plug systems).

-- Ian