Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2006 10:58:38 +0000
From:      Adam Nealis <adamnealis@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Graham Bentley <gbentley@uk2.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

Then come to this list, or approach some other forum that looks like it
might be able to help.

> I am pointing this out because the process of asking questions on
> the mailing list is a legitimate means of research.  Not everyone

I agree.

> wants to just spend the time installing it and then deciding if they
> like it.  Some want to do some research first, and that involves
> asking questions on the mailing list.  Framing the question as a
> "is freebsd better than linux" kind of question is perfectly legitimate.

I disagree with that. The guidelines for using this list recommend
searching it first for answers. As you probably know, a fairly standard
guideline in internet mailing lists is for newcomers to "lurk".

I have seen the subject of this thread many, many times.

It is reasonably assumed that responsible internet users know to read
the guidelines first. The idea is to both reduce repetition of
questions, and to help the newcomer/ lurker to determine if this
question has already been answered to their satisfaction faster than by
posting to the list.

> If we as the FreeBSD community cannot answer that question, then why
> are we wasting our time with it?

The question is too general. There are too many answers. It depends on
context and depends on what one views as "better". It is very _subjective_.

Adam.