Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2012 18:47:08 +0400
From:      "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@yandex.ru>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ivy Bridge and Xorg 7.7 on i386 FreeBSD 9-1BETA: no hardware acceleration?

 > Thu Aug 2 15:38:37 UTC 2012
> Hi x11@,
>
> I'm writing here because I don't know what else I can do and maybe
> someone could give me some hints...
>
> I'm evaluating 3D performance of IvyBridge [C|G]PU (HD2500) on FreeBSD
> 9-1BETA using i386 as architecture..
> The kernel driver works good (thanks Konstantin for the fix).
> In order to use the last driver capabilities, I'm using xorg-dev trunk:
>
> https://trillian.chruetertee.ch/svn/ports/trunk
>
> I had a strange configuration issue: AIGLX was disabled by default and
> DRISWRASTER was used. Enabling AIGLX manually in xorg.conf, the right
> i965 DRI2 GL is used. Not a big deal, but...
>
> with DRSWRASTER, glxgears performs about 45 fps
> with i965 DRI2 GL, glxgears still performs about 45 fps.
>
> It looks like that the hardware acceleration is somewhere not used.
> My xorg.conf, Xorg.0.log are attached.
>
> I'd happy to provide more information.
>
> Help and hints are greatly appreciated...
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best regards
> Luca

Greetings x11@,

I've got the same problem using Ivy Bridge HD4000 (with notorious
optimus). The DE (KDE4) is severely lagging and experiencing seconds'
delays in reaction to mouse/kbd events. So using the desktop is
practically impossible. In `top`, the Xorg process consumes up to 100% CPU.
When I switch to VESA driver, there is no DE performance problem
(rendering and reactions almost instant, CPU usage by Xorg about 6-10%).
I have exactly the same software versions installed on another PC but
with nvidia hardware and x11/nvidia-driver, and everything works there
fine, too. So I assume the problem is somewhere around drivers (either
xf86-video-intel, or Mesa layer, or the i1915kms module).

My system is:
FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE (GENERIC) #0 r240286: Mon Sep 10 14:27:33 MSK 2012
the latest Xorg from the xorg-dev trunk (xorg-server 1.12.4,
xf86-video-intel-2.20.4)
WITH_KMS=true
WITH_NEW_XORG=true

--