Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 1999 14:12:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd@iguana.internexo.co.cr (Theodore Hope)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, benh@blues.jpj.net
Subject:   Re: installing from local Jaz drive?

Theodore Hope wrote,
> I've downloaded the 121 MB "3.2-RELEASE.tar" from cdrom.com, and
> want to put it on a Jaz drive, and install from there.  Will the
> 3.2 installation process mount a local [scsi] Jaz drive and attempt
> to install from the untar'd 3.2-RELEASE, or should I forget that
> and simply put the whole thing on another local machine's anonymous ftp?

As far as I know, this should work. The installation process works off
of SCSI HDDs (I believe, never done it), and to FreeBSD, a SCSI Jaz
looks just like any other SCSI disk.

Your SCSI driver must be supported. The Jaz disk must have a FreeBSD
readable filesystem (any M$ FAT will do). And the diretories must be
arranged as outlined in the "How to Install from a DOS Partition"
installation istructions. Assuming your HDDs are not SCSI, the typical
Jaz drive will be device da0s4.