Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:35:07 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Michael Conlen <m@obmail.net>
Subject:   Re: JDK1.5 build and linux-sun-java1.4 problems

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 04:12:19PM -0400, Michael Conlen wrote:
> I'm having problems building jdk1.5. It segfaults early in the build.
> I believe I've tracked it down to the linux-sun-java1.4.2 build not
> working. I get the following
>
> # pwd
> /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2/bin
> # ./java -v
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> #

[...]
> I got the same result from the linux-sun-java1.5 port as well. This
> error and the build error are consistent. I've even gone through the
> step of rebuilding the entire system just to make sure there wasn't
> some bizarre problem with this particular hardware.
>
> FreeBSD system 6.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p7 #0: Wed Apr 19
> 14:15:18 EDT 2006     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AD  i386
>
> It was installed as 6.0-RELEASE, updated and purpose built for
> running java (and later tomcat) so there's not a bunch of other junk
> on it.
>
> Any thoughts on how to debug why java is seg faulting?

Just the usual stuff:
    - make sure linprocfs is mounted.
    - don't run the build in a jail.

If all else fails, you can download the diablo-jdk1.5 to build the
ports based jdk1.5.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily