Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:00:17 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Need a hand with imwheel

Hey all.

I am trying to get imwheel working, but having no luck.

I am using the latest imwheel (0.9.9, I think) from the ports, XFree86
4.1.0, and I _did_ read the imwheel docs, and the FreeBSD.org
examples.

Here is my pointer section from /etc/X11/XFree86config:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol"  "PS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psm0"
        Option      "Resolution" "300"
        Option      "Buttons" "5"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

And my mousewheel invokes no response from Netscape, xterm, etc.  My
.Xdefaults file is identical to the one I use on another FreeBSD
machine where I did get the wheel working.

The other box I have working uses a different card (ATI Mach64 3D Pro),
is currently running XFree86 3.3.x, and has the same mouse (intellimouse
1.2a).

I know the imwheel docs say to use IMPS/2 as the protocol, but with
this setup, that doesn't work.  The mouse cursor gets epilleptic.

I also tried telling it there were only 3 buttons, setting the baud
rate to 9600 with protocol Intellimouse (this is what I use on my
other bsd box).  The Intellimouse protocol also causes epilleptic
siezures in the mouse.

The card on this box was correctly detected by XFree86 4, and here is
the section:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "ati"
        VendorName  "ATI"
        BoardName   "Rage 128 RF"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

As for imwheel invocation, I have the following line in my ~/.xsession
/usr/X11R6/bin/imwheel

I have found that the -k flag only applies to Linux, so I left it out.
ps -ax | grep imwheel shows the daemon running.
I have a ~/.imwheelrc file taken (without modification for now) from
the source.  Of course, this is the same one installed in
/usr/X11R6/etc/imwheelrc, so this may be bad.

Has anyone else gotten this mouse working with the wheel on XFree86 4?

I'd appreciate any clues on how you fixed it.

Thanks
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Wiker's Law:
  Government expands to absorb revenue and then some.