Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 19:21:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS related sendmail hangs with 4.3-BETA kernel

OK, I'll admit right up front that I'm running a Jan. 30th userland
with today's 4.3-BETA kernel.  But I'm seeing some strange behavior
that I wouldn't expect to be caused by that alone.

Sendmail (and _only_ sendmail) hangs trying to use DNS to resolve
addresses.  The DNS calls eventually time out and fail, but it takes a
long time.  Other programs such as dig, host, telnet, and ftp all work
fine.  My same sendmail binary worked fine until I updated my kernel
today.

When it is hung, "ps" shows that it is waiting on "kqread".  Any
ideas what has happened?

John