Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 22:13:05 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Delivering mail to user's home directory

I know that this thread comes up periodically, and I searched the
archives but didn't find an answer that I liked. I want to deliver mail
directly to each user's home directory in such a way that I could enable
quotas at some time down the road and have the mail delivery agent
respect the quotas.

	The solutions from the archives:

1. Symlink /var/mail/username to /home/username/.mail
The problem with this is that sendmail runs as root, so it won't respect
quotas.

2. Use a mailer other than sendmail
This solution might work for others, but I want to stick with sendmail
(for now anyway).

3. Use procmail with sendmail to deliver the mail
I'd like to avoid dependency on another utility (thus avoiding another
potential security hole).

	So, I'm open to suggestions here. I'm in a position to do some creative
work, but I'd like something that is secure and portable as much as
possible.

Thanks,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

"Yes, the president should resign. He has lied to the American people,
time and time again, and betrayed their trust. He is no longer an
effective leader. Since he has admitted guilt, there is no reason to put
the American people through an impeachment. He will serve absolutely no
purpose in finishing out his term; the only possible solution is for the
president to save some dignity and resign."

- William Jefferson Clinton, 1974