Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:00:13 -0700
From:      "Wolfpaw - Dale Corse" <admin-lists@wolfpaw.net>
To:        "Paul Schenkeveld" <fb-isp@psconsult.nl>, "Wolfpaw - Dale Corse" <admin-lists@wolfpaw.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FW: Netstat byte counters, and IPFW (1 or 2) counters don't match

Hi Paul,

 Thanks for the reply :) I did have a few things to add;

>>  I can't seem to find a reason for this.. but if I graph the values of fxp0 using netstat -bin, like this:
>>
>>  Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs     Ibytes    Opkts Oerrs     Obytes  Coll
>>  fxp0  1500  <Link#1>    00:02:b3:bc:12:7c  3417242     0  232992484  3997590     0  764014344     0
>>
>>  and IPFW-2 rules like this (I also tried ipfw 1, and ipf):
>>
>>  00100     388827   18466235 count ip from any to any in via fxp0
>>  00101     454678   80243192 count ip from any to any out via fxp0
>>
>>  both with the same version of MRTG, the netstat version matches what my provider tells me I am using, but the
>>  one using ipfw values is always 50 - 200 kbits/sec off. Does anyone know why? I am stumped :( I have tried

> According to the numbers above, ipfw only counts 7.9% of all input
> bytes and 10.5% of all output bytes counted by netstat.
> Could it be that your (32-bit) counters have wrapped around?

The ipfw counters are reset every 5 minutes - the netstat ones aren't. I was not aware
of a way to zero those without a reboot (which would be bad - the link in question does
about 3 - 5 mb/s constantly, people get upset when it goes down :( They seem to be out
as I mentioned above contstantly

> I can think of there reasons for /small/ differences:
>
>  - Netstat counts all bytes in the ethernet frame, ipfw probably only sees
>    the IP packet minus ethernet header.

Doesn't the new IPFW-2 layer2 count everything, even non-ip traffic? If not, is there
a way I can block non-ip traffic from leaving my network .. I see no reason at all that
it should be leaving it. I run no applications that should require any of the below protocols.

>  - Netstat sees all protocols, ipfw only IP.  Other notable protocols that
>    can offset your netstat counters:
>      * CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol, sent out on every Cisco port unless
>	explicitely disabled in the config of the router/switch)

Hmm - I totally forgot about CDP - thanks much :)

>      * IPv6
>      * IPX (are there any Novell servers or PCs with IPX enables in the
>	subnet/broadcast domain).
>      * Netbeui (any PC in the same subnet/broadcast domain with netbeui
>	enabled).

Again - any ways to forbid these from crossing the gateway to the world? I only
run IPv4 and IP based applications (they are all that is allowed), we have nothing
that should be using IPX, or (gasp) anything using netbeui enabled, but a customer
might without realizing it.

> It could well be a combination of several of these factors.  Make
> sure both start counting at the same time (or zero both counters
> simultaneously), look with 'tcpdump -ni <interface> not ip' to see all
> protocols other than IP.

I'll try tcpdump, thanks much :)

> After evicting all PCs sending out IPX or Netbeui, kindly asking your
> switch to not send CDP and taming all connected nodes to not use IPv6
> should bring you a bit closer but the simple calculation:
>
>  ipfw_no_of_bytes + ipfw_no_of_packets * ether_header_size
>
> will still not give you thenumber of bytes as IP datagrams may be
> fragmented and reassembled between the ethernet driver and the IP
> layer.

Doesn't ipfw2's layer2 stuff handle this?

>>  using both ipfw 1, and ipfw 2 (counting only layer 3, and only layer 2, and both types (which was way off) of
>>  packets).. and I have been unable to solve the problem :( The other odd thing being, it seems to be traffic that
>>  is maybe not IP based.. because the graph on the uplink of the Cisco switch behind the firewall in question does
>>  not see the traffic ethier.. but the Cisco 6509 in front of it sees it.. :/
>>
>>  Please let me know if you have any ideas :)
>>
>>  Thanks in advance :)
>>  Dale.

>Hope this helps you.

It has been quite helpful - thanks much :) Sorry about all the questions :(

Regards,
Dale.
Dale Corse
System Administrator