Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:59:35 -0500
From:      Sam Suh <sam@bigstudios.com>
To:        nirv one nine nine <nirv199@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bash

nirv one nine nine wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed the bash package, and edited /etc/passwd to use
> /usr/local/bin/bash as the shell for some users, but it did not work.
> Is there anything else I need to do in order to run bash as my default
> shell?
>
> TIA
>
> nirv

You never, ever edit /etc/passwd directly. Instead, login as target user
and issue chsh command to change shell to bash. If not, use vipw as root
and change default shell for target user. The real password file is not
/etc/passwd, it is something else. /etc/master.passwd is the one. In
fact, you never edit it with vi or something else either. Because,
unless you use chsh or vipw, anything you do on master.passwd is not
going to be reflected. Please read man page for chsh and vipw.