Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:53:55 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Lonny Byrd <byrd@vol.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mounting

Sounds like you have got to the point where drive isn't being detected
properly. What kind of drive is it? Do you know what the drive
parameters are for that drive? The type of drive is shown at boot and
you don't need to open the computer to find what the parameters are
supposed to be.

I have a Phoenix that will not detect any of my large drives properly.
It will still continue to work if the proper parameters are passed to
it. You just may have to let it rediscover the drives or enter the
information by hand. I have seen this happen but it is usally when the
battery is just about dead and it keeps losing the contents of the
cmos. When you boot, press the <del>, <f2> or what ever you need to
get into the bios and look at the parameters entered for the drive.
Right now they are obviously bogus and to fix it you have to reenter
the proper values.

Kent

Lonny Byrd wrote:

> After attempting to mount an msdos partition using the command;
>
> mount -t msdos ...
>
> My BIOS (AMiBiOS) no longer detects the drive correctly, it is a Maxtor
> 8.4GB drive which is now detected in both amibios and award modular bios as
> a 2GB drive.  Using Amibios I get a IDE error which does not allow the drive
> to work at all.  I was able to get Award Modular bios allow the computer to
> boot up properly with the drive in place, but my boot disk now says that the
> drive is unformatted, and when I go into fdisk and try to look at the
> partitions on the drive it automatically kicks me out.  I am quite upset
> about this, as I have just lost nearly 8GB of important data.  Any help
> would be appreciated as to how I can get my data back and/or get the drive
> working properly in FreeBSD and in Windows...It has (or had) a 2GB FAT16
> partition at the beginning and then the rest was formatted using FAT32.
>
> Lonny

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html