Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 23:45:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another go at bandwidth delay product pipeline limiting for TCP

<<On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:12:46 -0300 (BRT), Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> said:

> Absolutely. On my DSL things work best when I limit myself
> to 220 kbit/s down (from the maximum 256 kbit/s), or about
> 85% of the bandwidth.

That is hardly surprising.  In fact, that is a well-known result of
Queueing Theory.  It is impossible to achive better than 85-90%
utilization in the presence of appreciable non-scheduled traffic
competing for the same channel.  (That's a big part of why protocols
like ATM were designed to require everything to go through admission
control and shaping: otherwise you can't make tight guarantees of
latency and drop rates while still maximizing channel utilization.)

-GAWollman