Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 22:53:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        William Wong <wwong@wiley.csusb.edu>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laws of Physics (was Re: SCSI A/V drives)

William Wong writes:
 > I remember working at GTE as an equipment technician a while back
 > and seeing the folks upstairs programming a little, drinking lots
 > of coffee and getting > 50-70k a year.  That was their starting
 > salary, by the way.  When I asked how one can obtain such a job,
 > their response was at least a BS in computer science.  This
 > infuriated me because I could have handled their jobs with aplomb.
 > That was when I decided to go and get those degrees.

When I worked for GTE (Gov't Systems Corp., there are a lot of "GTEs")
they had an official policy of *not* checking references, including
degrees.  Write yourself an impressive resume, make sure you can BS
your way through an interview with an alumni of whatever school(s)
you're claiming to have degreed your way out of, and write yourself a
salary.  ;^)

If you stick around as long as I have, you eventually get to write
your own job title so you can impress friends and colleagues, and
stump everyone who doesn't get it.  Jordan was highly amused by mine
and that of my partner at Comdex last week.  Unfortunately, he didn't
get to meet the third member of our party, Mark A. Matthews, who is
titled "Evil Genius, Acme Rocket and Stormdoor Co."

 > When I responded to the original message by Wes Peters, I had no
 > idea that you guys would be scrutinizing this "chat talk" with a
 > razor!  I guess I have to be more careful of what I write and how
 > thorough I cover my grounds. ;) ... Or at least respond with enough
 > replies to subtly shape shift my direction of movement. :) :) :)

You haven't lurked here long enough, or you would know that Terry,
Jordan, and I comprise the all-knowing, all-seeing triumvirate of
freebsd-chat.  We are the init, swapper, and pagedaemon of this
list. ;^) Mostly we just look for invitations to rant about our pet
peeves and prove to each other (everyone in FreeBSD-Land) how superior
we are to mere mortals, such as DOS losers and Windows Weenies.

We long ago delegated -questions to Doug White, because he gives more
coherent answers than we do.  ;^)