Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 19:20:12 +1100 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        Kwoody <kwoody@citytel.net>
Cc:        The FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kill a ptty?

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Kwoody wrote:

> At any rate I'm now left with a "ghost" connection saying that I'm still
> logged in to the bsd machine from the sun even though I'm not. Idle time
> on this is still increasing also.

It dosnt hurt so you can just leave it there if you want. Otherwise the
easiest may to get rid of it is to just use its tty again..ie telnet to
localhost a few times or use screen.

It happened because login entered your connection in the wtmp database but
because you killed telnetd it didnt get a chance to delete it. In the
future find the PID of your shell and kill -1 <pid>

Andrew