Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 05:18:34 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Darren Wyn Rees <merlin@rhydywaun.fsnet.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading FreeBSD 3.3 (& IP Masquerading)

Darren Wyn Rees wrote:

> * Can I buy the Cheapbytes FreeBSD 4.0 CD, & upgrade with this ?
> How do I do that... Do I install using the FreeBSD3.3 disks, and
> then upgrade various packages from the 4.0 disk ?

You could investigate upgrading and keeping up to date with 4.0-STABLE
using cvsup, there's information in the handbook on doing that.  (That
said, a source upgrade like that from 3.x to 4.x is not a pleasant
experience.)  Someone else will have to help with upgrading from CD,
because I've never done that (I always buildworld myself).  I'm guessing
you could just install from the 4.0 CD on top of a 3.3 installation,
though make sure you keep a copy of /etc and any other user-configured
parts (I can't think of many others off-hand which the installation
would touch, perhaps /boot if you've configured anything in there).

> * I'm confused by the terminology... From the linux world,
> the HOWTOs I've read use the term "IP Masquerading", but I don't find
> that with FreeBSD...

"IP masquerading" is the term Linux uses for what the rest of the world
calls "Network address translation".  Consult the "ppp" and "natd"
manpages for more information.

> I find terms such as "IP aliasing".  Is this just a synonym, or is
> there something more radically different betwixt the two ?

AFAIK they're all the same things.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D