Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 14:11:03 +0100
From:      "Joe Pepin" <pepin_j@ins.com>
To:        <newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Where to find comprehensive SSH and STABLE info?

Hello, everyone.

I have fallen head over heels for FreeBSD, and would like to make my new
home server very secure so that I can get a 24x7 fast connection (which has
been ordered, whoo-hoo) to my home and remotely use my home network securely
from my roving laptop (which I am building FreeBSD w/ PAO on today to
replace Red Hat Linux, FreeBSD replaced Debian on my home server, and I have
worked with Digital Unix, and Solaris, and SCO).

QUESTION 1:
I am looking to get ssh (or ssh2) fully implemented on my new FreeBSD
3.2-RELEASE (from cds) machine.  (I have only a very slow network connection
(28.8) at the moment so I download as little as possible.)

I have grabbed the distfiles for the ssh, ssh2 and rsaref ports.

I understand there are lots of technical, and legal issues regarding this
software.

I would like to legally get this stuff working in as hardened a mode as
possible, with all the bells and whistles.

Where can I go to find out everything, in a relatively clear format?  I have
the ssh FAQ, but it is a FAQ, I am looking for something along the lines of
a book maybe, or a book-like-substance.  If I need to compile ssh against
another library, I am willing to learn how to do that under FreeBSD, but I
need to know for sure that that is what I need to do (and would love to also
be pointed at how to go about that, my programming expertise is not C, I'm a
scripter).

I would like to use as much free software as possible, but am not averse to
purchasing a product (or a license, or whatever) if I can afford it and it
will fit my needs, and I can trust that the NSA doesn't have a built in
backdoor ;).

QUESTION 2:
Where can I go to find out exactly what I need to do to upgrade 3.2-RELEASE
to 3.2-STABLE?  I would like very much to use the RAID-5 vinum, and would
like to start learning how to track.  The problem is, my only network access
is not only slow, but from a win modem, so I will need to grab whatever I
need without CVS, right?  If that kind of thing is covered somewhere, that's
what I'm looking for.

I greatly appreciate any help you can give me.  I have already found this to
be a helpful and respectful community, yet another good reason for my
switch.

TIA
Joe Pepin

Joe Pepin