Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2001 18:11:21 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>, Tomas Svensson <tsn@gbdev.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Yes, you are correct.  There is no real reason for ssh to set
>     TCP_NODELAY on FreeBSD and, in fact, I believe it didn't used to.
>     We should just turn it off.

FWIW, I agree that it should not be set.  Setting socket options
has the unfortunate side effect of grabbing more per connection
memory than would otherwise be necessary.

Still, it's legal to set the option, even if it's not really a
sane thing to do in many cases, so disallowing it is not a "fix"
for anything.

-- Terry