Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 08:56:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Marc Dodsworth <marcd@tpg.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ed1 configuration

On 06-Dec-99 Marc Dodsworth wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an Accton EN1208 PCI ethernet card which uses a Realtek 8029.
>
> Under a Generic kernel, it's recognised as an ed1 (NE2000 compat/3com/WD)
>
> However I can't find any details on how to configure it in my custom kernel.
> LINT only shows ed0

You don't configure the interface before compiling the kernel. If the Generic
kernel sees it as ed1 then use ifconfig to set it up, something like this:

(as root, type this)
ifconfig ed1 130.236.49.127 netmask 255.255.248.0 up

and you're off.

This can be automatically be performed at bootup if you insert the relevant
lines in /etc/rc.conf (look in /etc/defaults/rc.conf for the layout).

If this is a first time setup you probably also want to manipulate
/etc/resolv.conf:

domain          isy.liu.se
nameserver      130.236.48.2

...or something. Use your imagination:)

/Micke

PS. ifconfig -a shows some intersting stuff. Make ceratin the UP flag is set.

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail
running on FreeBSD 3.1