Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:45:47 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with kppp (was: SOMEONE AUTHORITATIVE PLEASE ANSWER THIS FreeBSD Question)

On Saturday,  9 October 1999 at  7:20:59 -0700, Joss Roots wrote:
> hi there,

> I have been using FreeBSD since 2.2.6 and now I am running
> FreeBSD-Current as of few months,

-CURRENT is for people who know exactly what they're doing.  The
general attitude is "If you're running -CURRENT, please fix your own
problems"

> and I am having no problems really, but I have a constant
> observation, see I'am getting really slow internet connection,
> although using the same hardware, and net account and everything
> else, except for the operating system, on windows 98, the connection
> is much faster.

Do you mean connection setup?  Or latency?  Or throughput?  How do you
measure each of these?

> Since I already have great trust and admiration for the FreeBSD
> project, I can assume there must be something wrong with my system
> configuration.
>
> I am running kppp for dialup (from the KDE project), and using pppd
> (Kernel), I get real slow downloads.

Note that kppp is not part of FreeBSD.  It's part of a port, and I
personally think kppp has no reason for existing.  If you need help
with KDE, you need to talk to the people who wrote it.  FreeBSD has
two ppp implementations, both of which work fine.

> So, anyone can give me some authoritative answer for this problem,
> where to look, what to change and test, or how to get the connection
> and downloads to be faster, please give me a hint.

Dump kppp and install ppp.  You'll be glad you did.

Greg