Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 22:09:15 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        fewtch@serv.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Syquest SparQ Parallel Port driver...

> Greetings,
>
> Anyone know if anybody is working on a FreeBSD driver for the Syquest SparQ
> parallel port drive, or if such a driver exists already in a beta stage?  I've
> contacted ShuttleTech as well (probably useless) about this requesting any info.
> they can provide.  Thanks for any info (plz Email me direct),

The SparQ parallel-port drive is unlikely to be supported unless you
can obtain programming documentation for the interface they are using.

And I might add that I would *not* be recommending that you purchase one
of thes revolting units.  The IDE model, for example, is held together
with sticky tape, and the rest of the unit continues this fine standard
of design and manufacture.  In addition to this, the unit doesn't
appear to honour any of the standard protocols for removable ATA
devices, so you can, eg. remove the disk while the drive is actuve.

My advice: buy a Jaz and a Jaz Traveller (both of which we support).