Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 00:09:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT>
To:        DJ <dj@togem.kawatetsu.ne.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Can't recognize  the modem(33.6) of Compaq Presario 4130

On 23-Jun-98 DJ wrote about "Can't recognize  the modem(33.6) of Compaq
Presario 4130":
> I have installed FreeBSD2.2.5 on my Compaq Presario 4130.
> But it can't recognize the built-in modem(Compaq 33.6kbps) .
> Can anyone out of there help me with this problem?

As Doug said, try rebuilding your kernel with the pnp controller. This will
work if your modem if a Plug'n'Play one.

This may (will) be not enough: 2.2.5 PnP code probably does not know about your
modem, so maybe you'll have to modify /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sio.c to add
support for your PnP ID (look for "siopnp_ids" near the end of the file).

To avoid this, I wrote a little patch (that is going to be committed RSN), but
I need some help from your side: please send me the output of the "pnpinfo"
command (run it as root). Many thanks!

Bye, UP